Maybe things didn’t work out as planned. Maybe you’ve been in a slump lately. Maybe you have never had it all under control to begin with. Regardless of where you’re coming from, here’s a little life organization manual to get you where you want to be.
- Make a list. Start small, and write down 3 things that need to get done this week. Then, add two thing’s you’d like to finish within the next month. These can be goals or simply to-do items, but either way putting them in writing (or typing) will make them more likely to actually happen.
- Use a calendar. My favorite app is called Sunrise and it works for your Desktop, iPad, iPhone, and Android. Now place the items you listed above in the calendar, assigning appropriate due dates and reminders to ensure they are completed. Merge all your schedules/obligations into this one location, and follow religiously.
- Be good to your body. Take care of any necessary health-related tasks that have not yet been attended to. Are you in need of a haircut? Did you do something active this week? Have you been eating well? Did you shower today? How much sleep did you get last night? These may seem unrelated to getting your shit together but I promise that treating your body well is crucial for high performance!
- Fill up the trash. Rid your email inbox of clutter, donate the 40% of your wardrobe that hasn’t been touched since 2008, put away the piles of junk you have accumulated on your bedroom desk and kitchen counter. Life feels so much better when you don’t have all that baggage weighing you down.
- Clean. Never underestimate the power of Clorox wipes and a vacuum cleaner. If you take some time to clean your surroundings, you will feel more focused and productive in other aspects of your life.
- Add to your social calendar. If you don’t already have something on your calendar for the next week, make a plan! Visiting with friends will not only motivate and uplift you, it will actually serve as something to work toward while you are busy conquering the world. No matter how driven you want to be, time to enjoy yourself is needed to maintain a healthy life balance.
- Smile. Even if things aren’t perfect yet, you’re headed in the right direction. Positivity will get you so much further in life, have faith!
I’d love to hear your story. Feel free to leave comments about what has (or hasn’t) worked for you. Best wishes as you embark on this personal journey! XOXO.